Determined to have the same sense of belonging and status the fraternity men enjoyed, one small band of young women, with the help of a local dentist, established the secrets, symbolism and rites that today bind together over 300,000 women from over 170 campuses and in more than 250 alumnae chapters.
- Founding Date: April 5, 1895 a the University of Arkansas.
- First Chapter Name: Psi Chapter.
- Founding Members: 5 founders - 14 original members.
- From the beginning, Chi Omega's leaders had the foresight to create a national organization.
- First secret was that Chi Omega didn't have any secrets. The founders wore ribbons tied together on their blouses to tease the boys. The colors of the ribbons were olive and crushed plum. Why? Because they were the ugliest colors the founders put together!
- Dr. Richardson crafted the pin out of dental gold.
- Chi Omega was founded on Six Purposes.